Monday, June 1, 2009

The Incredible Edible Cancer Stick


This morning I went into a local bodega because I was running late and I knew they sold hard boiled eggs. A great portable breakfast. I saw the sign on the counter, "2 hard boiled eggs $1."

"Great," I thought to myself, "they have some this morning."

After waiting for the person ahead of me to pay, I went up to the counter.

"Hard boiled eggs," I requested. The man mumbled something back. I thought he was repeating my order as he turned around to grasp an item.

The clerk placed a pack of Marlboro Lights onto the counter saying, "Marlboro Lights?"

Um, no. HARD BOILED EGGS.

I thought that these two things sound alike. How did this happen? This man was not a native English speaker, was that the problem? Was it because it was early in the morning and I was mumbling? A bit of my sounthern accent coming out?

HARD BOILED EGGS. MARLBORO LIGHTS.

I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment