Monday, June 29, 2009

Hospitals...

There are so many things not to like about hospitals. I like the IDEA of them - healing the sick - but the reality, for a patient, or, in my case, the daughter of a patient, far from a place where they help you get better.

Here I sit, as I type, in the nuclear medicine lab as my father has a "stress test." Apparently there's a worldwide shortage of a particular isotope they usually use for this test, and they have to use another, slower one. Which means lunch in the hospital cafeteria! Yikes. And then a 3 hour wait to repeat the test. My father is not pleased and cranky. I don't blame him.

I think, also, that I would hate a job where I had to wear scrubs every day, was subjected to primarily flourescent lighting, and the weird-smelling, dry, cold hospital air. And then there's the ugly art, the strange color choices and other aesthetic issues. I'm glad I didn't choose medicine as a career!

No comments:

Post a Comment